FAQs-Previous CBS Users
Previous CBS Users
We will be creating new user accounts and blogs for all of our previous CBS blog owners. Here is the process:
a. Let us know if you are wanting to use the newcbs theme with a customized blog header. Go to our Contacts Page to send us an email with the necessary info.
b. We will create a user account and blog page for you. It will be the same as you have now. (usernames must not be capitalized and not have special characters)
c. We will upload your customized header if you provided us the necessary information.
d. When we create your username and blog you will receive two emails
One will be an email letting you know what your computer generated password is.
The second email will give you a link if you want to change your password.
You choose if you want to keep the computer generated password or want change your password.
e. Go to the Steps for Previous CBS Blog Users FAQ.
f. As time allows we will update the FAQs. We are updating several times a day.
NOTE: if you are only seeing a couple options on the left column of your dashboard when you login, you have not logged in per the step below.
a. Go to www.christianblogsites.net/blogs/yourusername/wp-login.php. Enter your Username and your Password.
If you go to www.christianblogsites.net/blogs/wp-login.php you will login as a subscriber to CBS, not as an admin to your blog.
If you do not need links to Facebook on your blog page and they are appearing on your blog page, it is easy to remove them:
1. Go to Dashboard-Appearance-Widgets
2. On the far right click on the Secondary Widget Bar
3. Click on each of the Social Media Widgets and click delete on each of them. That’s it.
To change the Bio image on the top right sidebar when using the newcbs theme, do the following:
1. Upload a new image to your Media Library:
a. Go to Dashboard-Media,, Add new
b. Upload your image. It is best that it is 150×150 but once you upload it you will have very size options to choose from.
c. Copy the URL of the image. (click on your image and on the right is your iamge URL.)
2. Go to Dashboard-Apperance-Widgets
a. Click on the Secondary Widget Sidebar on the fr right to open it
b. Click on the More Widget
c. You will see where you can enter the URL of your image
3. If you want to have a Bio page then do the following:
a. Go to Dashboard-Pages, Add new
b. Create your page and Save.
c. Copy by your page permalink
d. Go to Dashboard-Appearance-Widgets
e. Click on the Secondary Widget Sidebar on the fr right to open it
f. Click on the More Widget
g. Replace the current URL with your URL. Be sure you do not change the html coding. Only replace the URL in the html code. If you erase it here it what you need to do to link yo your Bio Page.
If you have the link say, Click Here for more details. It would look like this. Copy the info below:
<a href=”Your Bio Page URL”>Click Here</a> for more info.
If you have problems just contact us and give us your blogtitle and blogusername. We can make it work for you.
Do you have old posts that you would like to delete? Maybe you have duplicate posts from the importing of your posts from the old CBS Blog Site. It is easy to delete several posts at one time. Just follow these steps:
a. Go to Dashboard-Posts
b. You will see a ‘Bulk; Dropdown. Click on the dropdown and choose Trash.
c. Scroll down and click on the posts you want to delete.
d. Click Apply.
If you look at various themes you will notice some of them have a More About Me, Bio, or some other About Me section in the theme. If you want to delete this section, edit this section, or add this section, it usually can be found in Dashboard-Appearance-Widgets. It will be either an existing widget that is being used or it will be a widget you can add to your theme.
If it already a widget being used by your theme you can remove it FAQ Section and do a search for More About Me.
The following is information on Setting Up Your New Blog. Be sure to go to our FAQs pages for help on doing anything listed below.
- If you have not done it yet, request a free customized blog header if you are going to use the default newcbs theme as your theme. Place your request by going to our Contact Page.
(We have created a default blog header for all of our previous users. We will provide you one free edit. With the edit you can add the following:
a. Add Blog Subtitle
b. Add Blog Description
c. Add a small image. You must upload the image to your Media Folder and send me detailed instructions of where you want the image, what size you want. Then contact me via the contact page with instructions.
- Log into your site (Go to www.christianblogsites.net/blogs/yourusername/wp-login.php) and take a look at the dashboard. Click thru the various links to get an idea of how the dashboard is set up.
- Update your Profile Page. Go to Dashboard-Users-Your Profile.
a. You want to choose what name shows up publicly on your blog. I would recommend changing your nickname to something different than your username.
b. To upload your profile picture/avatar, just click on the current image. It will load the media page. If you ahve not uploaded your profile picture on your blog yet, upload an image then choose it for your profile picture.
- Your default blog site has several widgets, you can remove or add widgets. Go to our FAQs pages for specifics on widgets. The general concept is you go to the widget page and drag and drop widgets where you want them on your blog site. You then can edit each of the widgets. Dashboard-Appearance-Widgets.
- You can change your blog theme if you desire. (I would recommend doing this until you have done all of the items below.) If you want to change your theme go to Appearance-Themes. Realize that some widgets will not work with certain themes. The newcbs theme was designed to work with almost all of the widgets provided.
- DO NOT COPY your previous blog articles to this site or do anything else with them. We will be uploading them to your new blog. You will need to do some fine tuning but at least they will be uploaded to your new site.
- Do not activate Cleantalk plug-in at this time. We are working with them to make it than our entire site is activated with Cleantalk anti-spam with only one activation key. Once this happens you really do not need any other plugins to block same, but we would recommend immediately installing Akismet and Bad Behavior as a precaution.
- Until we get Cleantalk activated for the entire CBS site. we recommend you activate Akismet and Bad Behavior Anti-Spam plugins. Go to Dashboard-Settings-Akisment or Dashboard-Settings-Bad Behavior to learn how to activate these plugins. Akismet is going to require you to create a blog with WordPress. You do not need to use the blog, only create to set up an account for Akismet.
- Sign up with Gravatar to receive a gravatar (a small image associated with your email address that appear on posts, comments, etc where you have your email address.) It is linked to your CBS blog automatically. There is an FAQ on this at our FAQ pages
- Change your time zone under Dashboard-Setting-General
- Choose if you want comments defaulted. We recommend have them off unless you want comments on. Go to Dashboard-Settings-Discussion.
- Edit the existing default blog article/post or delete (do not delete until you have written one new blog article) otherwise you will get a 404 Error Message on your page.
- Edit or Delete the About Me widget that is on the right side of your blog. You can either remove it completely or edit it with your info. If you want to provide a link on it to go to a specific bio/info page be sure to not edit out the link code in the widget. There is an FAQ on this at our FAQ pages
- When you have done all of the above would you please let me know by sending an email via the Contact Page.
- Once most of you have accomplished the above we will be creating summary pages that can be linked from any of your blogs. The summary will be like we had in the past with a list of Blogs and recent postings.
- We are doing more testing with some Facebook widgets. Right now you can link to your Facebook page and people can recommend your blog through facebook. We are working on providing you the ability to have FB widgets on your actual posts so that after you write an article there will a FB link that you are a visitor can upload to FB a link of the article.
- We are now in the process of redirecting your old blog URL to your new site. In other words when people go to the URL of your old blog site they will be sent to the URL of your new blog sie automatically.
- Last but not least in my mind is if you would like to make a small donation at any time to help cover hosting costs go to our Donation Page. Your credit card donation will be processed securely by PayPal. You can always mail a donation to: Richard Dover, P.O. Box 58512, Seattle, WA 98166.
Keep on Blogging
P.S. Once you have your blog sites setup, we transfer your old blog articles, it would be great to let your friends know about this site. Our new intro homepage should be up and going in a few days.
If you are seeing on the right column of your blog a section that says Blog Owner Richard D. Dover you are using a customized newcbs theme, hat has installed a More About Me Widget in the Secondary Sidebar. You can either edit that widget with your info or you can delete it completely.
If you are going to edit with your information and you want it to link to a page, do not delete the link. Instead edit the page it goes to and rename the page and change the link. Instructions below.
To delete or edit the More About Me widget: Go to Dashobard-Appearance-Widgets-Secondary Sidebar and click on the More About Me Widget.
If you still want a bio page then do the following:
Go to Dashboard-Pages-bio-your-name page. Edit the title and fill out the page. Go to the bottom of the page and create a slug (enter something like your first-lastname). Update the page. Go to the permalink and copy it. Go to Appearance-Widgets-More About Me and edit the widget. replace the link with your new page permalink.
Example: <a href=”http://www.christianblogsites.net/blogs/your blog/bio-your-name”>like this</a>
<a href=”http://www.christianblogsites.net/blogs/bio-first-last”>Your Name</a>.
You are able to choose what name shows up on your posts. Go to Dashboard-Users-Your Profile
You will see the screen below. Enter what you want as your nickname, otherwise it will be your username.
Under Display name publicly as, you will have the option to choose any of the names that are listed on this screen.
We are working hard at transferring your previous blog articles. We need your help to make this transition as smooth as possible. Please be aware that there will be glitches along the way.
We need your help to make the transition smoother. Here is what we need from you.
1. DO NOT post any longer at www.christianblogsites.com/blog website.
2. ASAP create categories in your new blog site that match the categories in your old blog site. (Go to Dashboard-Posts-Categories)
3. Add images/photos/graphics to your Media file of your new blog site. If any of your old blog articles contain images (and you don’t have them on your local computer) you should get them from your old blog site and save those images to your new blog site. (We also are going to try to capture all of them, but this is going to be challenging and we may miss some.)
Be aware that when we transfer your articles to the new site that there will be some issues:
a. Any articles that have images in them will have links to the image path that will be wrong. You will need to go into your articles and change the image path.
b. If you used the ‘more’ feature when posting articles it will not work properly in regards to your articles. We are hoping to find a work around on this but not sure if we can get something to work.
It is our goal to be able to load all of your old blog posts to your new site. We cannot guarantee that will happen. What we can promise is that we will be able to capture all your articles and provide you a file that has all your articles. You would then need to copy and paste each article to your blog. Yes a pain, but at least you would able to post your favorite articles. (But we are hoping to input all your blog posts into your new site.
As a faithful CBS Blog User you are able to receive a customized Blog Header if you use the newcbs theme. There are three pieces of information that can be entered in your Blog Header. The Blog Title, the Blog Subtitle, a short description. If you would like a customized blog header, go to our Contact Page and enter the appropriate information. (We may have already created and installed your customized blog header.)
Once we receive your request we normally we will have the header done in a few hours , but for sure within 24 hours. Until we create your custom blog header you can replace the default header with your own or with the blog header you see on this page. First go to Dashboard-Media-find the image, and copy the URL for the image. Then go to your Dashboard-Appearance-Settings-Theme Options-Logo Image-Remove-Paste the image URL-Save-back to Theme Options and you will see the new image.
a. Go to www.christianblogsites.net/blogs/yourusername/wp-login.php. Enter your Username and your Password.
b. If you are on this page, go to the bottom left of this page and click on the login link and enter your username and password. Click on My Sites and click on your blog site name.
c. Once you place a Meta Sidebar Widget on your blog, there will be a Log-In link on your blog.
NOTE: if you are only seeing a couple options on the left column of your dashboard when you login, you have not logged in per step a. Logout and login per step a.
Some of you are using a theme that defaults with a Follow Us on Facebook widget. If you want to keep that widget on your site you need to enter your Facebook URL. Go to:
Dashboard-Appearance-Widgets-Social Media Feather Follow Us
or if it is already in your sidebar, click on the sidebar and edit the widget
For some of you there are widgets in the Secondary Sidebar. To access them click on the Secondary Sidebar to open it.
If you do not have a Facebook account or do not want to link to your Facebook account you can remove this Widget.
Go to Dashboard-Appearance-Widgets-Go to the Social Media Feather Follow Us and click on it to delete it.
Go to our Guidelines & Policies Page.